The right to Acquire scheme is similar to Right to Buy but it applies to properties owned by a housing association. For you to be able to apply to purchase a property through the Right to Acquire scheme your landlord must meet the eligibility requirements.

If you’ve had a public sector landlord for 3 years or more then you can apply to buy your housing association home . Public sector landlords include:

  • Housing associations
  • Councils
  • The armed services
  • NHS trusts and foundation trusts

Eligible properties:

  • A property built or bought by a housing association after 31 March 1997 (and funded through a social housing grant provided by the Housing Corporation or local council)
  • A property that was transferred from a local council to a housing association after 31 March 1997

Your landlord must be registered with the Regulator of Social Housing.

The property must meet the follow criteria:

  • It must be a self-contained property*
  • It must be your only or main home

*To be classed as self contained a property (whether a house or a flat) must have its own private kitchen, bathroom and/or toilet, and living area(s). It must have everything required for a tenant in one place, with no need to exit the accommodation to access necessary facilities.

Contact us to find out more about Right to Acquire

As with Right to Buy you can make a joint application for Right to Acquire:

  • A joint application can be submitted with someone else who currently shares your tenancy
  • As with Right to Buy it is also possible to do an application with someone who does not share your tenancy. The rule is that it can be up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months

  • you’re being made bankrupt.
  • a court has ordered you to leave your home 
  • you’re a council tenant - you may be able to use Right to Buy instead
  • you have ‘Preserved Right to Buy’